RX 460 Aimed for Smooth HD Gaming Performance
AMD At E3 2016 announces the RX 460 and RX 470 graphics cards, accompanying the VR ready RX 480 at launch this coming June 29th of the year. This puts AMD right into the budget, mainstream, and VR gaming with 3 cards under 200 USD.
Official pricing for the recently revealed cards are still unknown, but since the RX 480 is a card built for 200 USD, we are guessing that the RX 470 will retail for 150 USD, while the RX 460 will retail for 100 USD. That’s an educated guess of course, as these market segments are the most profitable ones. It is also note worthy to add that AMD is finalizing a 300 USD graphics, which is most probably the RX 490.
Chart taken from WCCFTech
Not much information has been divulged so far when it comes to the specifications, but this is what we know: The RX 470 is set to take 1080P gaming at 60 FPS, has a Polaris 10 PRO GPU, and will feature a compact PCB with a single 6-pin power connector. The RX 460 on the other hand, is a graphics for eSport, and MOBA games – so we are expecting that this card will also boast 1080P performance well above 60 FPS too, under those games or segment. The RX 460 appears to be smaller than the RX 470, without a visible power connector based on the first shot of the PCB. Suffice to say the card will feature a 75W TDP and perhaps, lower. Read more from the press release below:
E3 2016, LOS ANGELES, Calif. — June 13, 2016 — Today at Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) CEO Lisa Su delivered a pre-launch showcase of the full line of forthcoming Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards set to transform PC gaming this summer by delivering enthusiast class performance and features for gamers at mainstream price points. AMD previously showcased the Radeon™ RX 480 graphics card, designed for incredibly smooth AAA gaming at 1440p resolution and set to be the most affordable solution for premium VR experiences starting at just $199 SEP for the 4GB version. Joining the Radeon RX family are the newly announced Radeon™ RX 470 graphics card delivering refined, power-efficient HD gaming, and the Radeon™ RX 460, a cool and efficient solution for the ultimate e-sports gaming experience.
The Radeon™ RX Series of graphics processors are designed to transform the PC gaming industry across a variety of form factors, delivering on three fundamental “entitlements” for gamers and game developers:
- Extraordinary VR experiences at price points never offered before – Previewed at Computex, the Radeon™ RX Series will expand the VR ecosystem by democratizing exceptional VR experiences, making them available to many form factors and millions of consumers by lowering the cost barriers to entry.
- Great game content delivered to PC Gamers in real time – Through a combination of Radeon™ RX Series performance profiles and close-to-the-metal APIs that closely mirror console APIs, AMD believes that developers will be further empowered to co-develop high quality, high performing game content for both consoles and PCs, enhancing the PC gaming ecosystem.
- Console-class GPU performance for thin and light notebooks – Gaming notebooks have traditionally been large and cumbersome or under-powered for today’s gaming needs. The Radeon™ RX Series addresses this with flagship technology that effectively gives mobile users GPU performance that rivals that of consoles with exceptionally low power and low-z height to drive thin, light and high-performance gaming notebooks, and 1080p 60Hz gaming experiences for both eSports and AAA titles.
“Gamers and consumers today are being left behind,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “Today only the top 16 percent of PC gamers are purchasing GPUs that deliver premium VR and Gaming experiences.2 Hundreds of millions of gamers have been relegated to using outdated technology. Notebook gamers are often forced to compromise. And tens of millions more can only read about incredible PC VR experiences that they can’t enjoy for themselves. That all changes with the Radeon™ RX Series, placing compelling and advanced high-end gaming and VR technologies within reach of everyone.”
Gamers in the market for a new graphics card need look no further than the forthcoming Radeon™ RX Series, consisting of:
- Superior technology engineered for unprecedented performance– The Radeon™ RX Series features the most advanced graphics and gaming technologies ever seen in a GPU priced under $300 SEP, delivering cutting-edge engineering to everyday PC gamers and VR consumers. The Radeon™ RX Series harnesses the revolutionary Polaris architecture optimized for the 14nm FinFET process, the most cutting-edge process technology in the world featuring the smallest transistors ever used in a GPU, engineered to deliver unprecedented performance and power efficiency from incredibly small and thin chips.
- Extraordinary VR experiences never widely affordable before – With models starting at $199 SEP, the Radeon™ RX 480 is the most affordable solution for a premium VR experience, supplying the graphics capability necessary to bring high-quality PC VR experiences from Oculus and HTC3 to anyone who wants it.
- Future-proof technologies1 – The Radeon™ RX Series continues the Radeon™ tradition of innovation, like being first to 14nm FinFET process technology, first in memory types and bandwidth like HBM, and first to support low overhead gaming APIs. Gamers will enjoy these products for a long time to come with a range of “future-proof” benefits including:
- Leading DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™ gaming – The Polaris architecture-fueled Radeon™ RX Series is built to deliver phenomenal DirectX® 9, DirectX® 10, and DirectX® 11 gaming performance, and designed to absolutely scream in DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™, the future of gaming. Polaris architecture uniquely supports asynchronous compute for superior experiences in games and VR applications using DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™. AMD brings gamers incredible DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™ game experiences including phenomenal VR content, by collaborating with the top DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™ developers in the world who want to develop on Radeon™ to bring the best games to market.
- Next-generation display technologies – Radeon™ RX Series includes support for next-generation HDR gaming and video on new HDR monitors and TVs. The Radeon™ RX Series also supports HDMI™ 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 supporting the new generation of high-resolution HDR and high-refresh displays. The Radeon™ RX Series features exceptional accelerated H.265 encoding and decoding, enabling effortless streaming or recording of 10-bit 4K video at 60 FPS4.
- Radeon Software designed to provide the best performance, features, stability and control – Equally as sophisticated as the Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards is the software that powers them. Radeon Software enables the ultimate in performance, features and stability to ensure an exceptionally smooth and fast out-of-box experience, and one that gets better with age as updates roll out.
For more information on Polaris architecture-based Radeon™ RX Series graphics cards, stay tuned to the AMD newsroom and associated social media channels.
- Read more about the Polaris architecture found in the upcoming Radeon™ RX Series of graphics cards on com
- Learn more about Radeon™ graphics
For more than 45 years AMD has driven innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies ― the building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the datacenter. Hundreds of millions of consumers, leading Fortune 500 businesses, and cutting-edge scientific research facilities around the world rely on AMD technology daily to improve how they live, work, and play. AMD employees around the world are focused on building great products that push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information about how AMD is enabling today and inspiring tomorrow, visit the AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) website, blog, Facebook and Twitter pages.