AMD just released their latest Catalyst driver, bringing FRTC, Virtual Super Resolution, and FreeSync support. The Catalyst 15.7 is the latest WHQL certified driver that AMD released for months, bringing new features to AMD Radeon graphics cards. Download the driver here: LINK
FRTC is short for Frame Rate Target Control, which means that it will limit the frame rate of your AMD Radeon graphics for better power efficiency, & temperatures, while still maintaining a fluid game play. FRTC is supported by Radeon R7 260 and above.
A comprehensive set of key AMD enabled features include:
- Ability to stream content at the highest resolutions (4K and beyond) thanks to hardware-based HEVC decoder1
- Activating Microsoft® DirectX® 12 and AMD’s Freesync™ Technology will help make your games look great on your AMD-based PC running Windows® 10
- Responsive resume times powered by AMD and Windows® 10 let you spend less time waiting and more time doing because your PC wakes up from sleep quickly.
- Window Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0 works with Windows® 10 to reduce the driver workload on graphics hardware. Display modes can be changed quickly and without the bothersome flicker that Windows users had to endure in the past.
Significant feature updates:
- Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) enables fine-tuning your graphics card for more stable and consistent performance in games with real-time frame rate control limiting the maximum frame rate during gameplay — and delivers the benefits of reduced system/GPU power consumption, lower system temps, and lower fan speeds for quieter operation.
- Now supporting AMD Radeon™ R7 260 and above GPUS
- Virtual Super Resolution (VSR) provides image quality enhancement to gamers and Windows desktop users (renders at high resolution then down-scales; giving effective Super Sample Anti-Aliasing):
- Now supporting AMD Radeon™ R7 260 and above GPUS, as well as desktop A-Series 7400K and above APUS with Single and Multi-GPU configurations with more supported VSR modes!
- AMD FreeSync™ Technology eliminates screen tearing without lag and latency. And now it works in Crossfire™ mode! You just need a FreeSync capable AMD component and a FreeSync compatible monitor. The full list of announced monitors can he found here
According to AMD, the Catalyst 15.7 driver suite is going to be the staple AMD driver for the upcoming Windows 10 OS. Anyone with an AMD Radeon graphics whose going to upgrade to Windows 10 will reap its benefits first hand by fully supporting Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0 in Windows 10 and DirectX 12 on all GCN based products.
AWESOME SAUCE: Press Release