A New Way of Storytelling That Allows People to Explore the World
SkyPixel, the world’s most popular aerial photography community run in cooperation with DJI, on Friday kicked off its first aerial video contest of the year. The 2017 SkyPixel Video Contest runs from June 2 to August 2 and welcomes all drone users to submit their vision of the world in video format to any of three categories: Nature, City, or Sport. This contest is open to participants from around the world, whether you are a new drone user, a professional videographer, or someone just wanting to showcase their creativity from above.
“Since its inception in 2014, SkyPixel has become the largest community for aerial enthusiasts and photographers from around the world. We now have over four million users worldwide using this platform as a way to share their perspective of the world and inspire others with this fantastic new art form,” said Danny Zheng, DJI Vice President of Marketing.
Participants can submit their work in any one of the following categories:
- Nature: Tell us a story with landscape shots, revealing the deep secrets of Mother Nature from above.
- City: Capture the character of your city’s transformation or show us places we know and love, but from a brand new perspective.
- Sport: Capture the energy and excitement behind a sport or an athlete pursuing their dreams.
Videos captured from any type of aerial platform are welcome. Submissions should not be longer than five minutes and should include at least 30 seconds of aerial footage.
One Grand Prize winner will be selected out of all the entries. The winner will receive a DJI Inspire 2 Premium Combo, Nikon D750 Body + 24-70 mm VR 2.8 Lens, Suunto Spartan Ultra Copper Special Edition (HR) Watch, LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 3 Hard Drive, an Oakley Latch Prizm Sunglasses, and a Tourism Australia Travel Package. Other prizes include the DJI Phantom 4 Pro, DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo, and DJI Spark, among others.
SkyPixel will also give out a People’s Choice Prize to the top ten most liked videos (cut-off time for voting is August 2, 14:00 CST). Winners will receive a DJI Osmo Mobile, LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C Hard Drive, Suunto Traverse Alpha Black Watch, and an Oakley Latch Prizm Sunglasses.
The 2017 SkyPixel Video Contest is hosted by DJI, and is sponsored by Nikon, Adidas, and Raffles City.
Several renowned videographers and influencers will act as judges and decide the contest’s winners:
- Phil Pastuhov — Aerial Director of Photography whose credits include the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Godzilla, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- Ning Hao — Director and screenwriter of several Chinese blockbusters. His breakout film Crazy Stone (2006) earned a Golden Horse Award for Best Original Screenplay.
- Ryan Hosking — The youngest feature film Aerial Director of Photography. Ryan’s film credits include The Revenant, American Sniper, The Nice Guys, and CHiPs.
- Filipe DeAndrade — 10-time Emmy award-winning Director of Photography, wildlife ambassador for National Geographic, and Nat Geo WILD
- Robin Mahieux — Robin has worked on creative projects for Chanel, Redbull, Sony, AIA, Cartier, Air China, Porsche, and Jaguar
- David Etienne — TV producer, director, pilot, and commercial drone pilot
- Andy Best — Renowned photographer and filmmaker
- Josh Raab — Multimedia Editor at TIME and professor at the International Center of Photography
- Brad Rickman — Digital Director for Condé Nast Traveler
- Contest Start Date: June 2 2017, 14:00 CST
- Contest Deadline: August 2 2017, 14:00 CST
- Award Announcement: August 31, 2017 CST
For more info about the contest and how to enter, visit: https://www.skypixel.com/events/videocontest2017