NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang on the first Tuesday of September unveiled the new GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs, dubbed as NVIDIA’s “greatest generational leap in history.”
Based on the NVIDIA Ampere architecture, the GeForce RTX 30 Series are expected to deliver up to 2x the performance and 1.9x the power efficiency over previous-generation GPUs.
In addition to the trio of new GPUs (GeForce RTX 3080,RTX 3070 and the “BFGPU” RTX 3090, Nvidia also introduced a slate of new tools for GeForce gamers. They include NVIDIA Reflex, NVIDIA Broadcast and NVIDIA Omniverse Machinima.
For a limited time, gamers who purchase a new GeForce RTX 30 Series GPU or system will also receive a PC digital download of Watch Dogs: Legion.
Below you will find a summary of the news along with links to additional information:
GeForce RTX 3080: The New Flagship
- Starting at US$699, the RTX 3080 is up to 2X faster than the original RTX 2080.
- Designed for 4K gaming, it consistently delivers more than 60 fps at 4K resolution.
- Built on a custom 8N manufacturing process, the flagship GeForce RTX 3080 has 28 billion transistors and features new Micron GDDR6X memory.
- Available starting September 17.
GeForce RTX 3070: The Sweet Spot
- At US$499 it’s faster than the US$1,200 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti – at less than half the price
- It’s also 60% faster than RTX 2070 at the same price.
- Available in October.
GeForce RTX 3090: A Big, Ferocious GPU
- It’s the fastest GPU ever built for gaming and creative types and is designed to power 60 fps at 8K resolution.
- 24GB of GDDR6X memory can tackle the most challenging AI algorithms and feed massive data-hungry workloads.
- It’s up to 50% faster than the TITAN RTX.
- It even comes with silencer — a three-slot, dual-axial, flow-through design — up to 10x quieter and keeps the GPU up to 30 degrees C cooler than the TITAN RTX.
- Available starting September 24 at US$1,499.
The new cards feature several world firsts, including:
- Dual-Axial, Flow-Through Thermal Solution — Up to 2x more cooling performance, with a stunning unibody design. Gamers and creators will be able to enjoy unrivalled performance while their GPUs simultaneously run cooler and quieter than ever.
- Exquisite Mechanical and Electrical Design — A stronger mechanical structure — with a new low-profile leaf spring along with a new 12-pin power connector — allows more space for components and cooling, and is compatible with 8-pin connectors in existing power supplies, with an included adapter.
- HDMI 2.1 — The increased bandwidth provided by HDMI 2.1 allows, for the first time, a single cable connection to 8K HDR TVs for ultra-high-resolution gaming.
- AV1 Decode — First discrete GPUs with support for the new AV1 codec, enabling gamers to watch up to 8K HDR internet video using as much as 50 percent less bandwidth.
NVIDIA Reflex is a new suite of technologies that optimise and measure system latency. Among these are NVIDIA Reflex Low-Latency Mode, a technology being integrated into popular esports games such as Apex Legends, Call of Duty: Warzone, Fortnite and Valorant that reduces latency by up to 50 percent, and NVIDIA Reflex Latency Analyzer, which detects input coming from the mouse and then measures the time it takes for the resulting pixels (for example, a gun muzzle flash) to change on screen.
Reflex Latency Analyzer is integrated into new 360Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Esports displays arriving this fall from Acer, Alienware, ASUS and MSI and supported by top esports peripherals from ASUS, Logitech, Razer and SteelSeries.
For live streamers, we announced NVIDIA Broadcast. It transforms standard webcams and microphones into smart devices to turn any room into a broadcast studio.
It does this with effects like Audio Noise Removal, Virtual Background Effects — whether for graphics or video — and Webcam Auto Framing, giving you a virtual cameraperson. And it’ll run on any RTX GPU.
For those now using video games to create movies and shorts — an art form known as Machinima — we introduced NVIDIA Omniverse Machinima, based on the Omniverse 3D workflow collaboration platform.
With Omniverse Machinima, creators can use their webcam to drive an AI-based pose-estimator to animate characters. Drive face animation AI with your voice. Add high-fidelity physics like particles and fluids. Make materials physically accurate.
GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs bring time saving benefits to creators. These new GPUs deliver faster ray tracing and the next generation of AI-powered tools, turning the tedious tasks in creative workflows into things of the past. With up to 24GB of new, blazing-fast GDDR6X memory, they’re capable of powering the most demanding multi-app workflows, 8K HDR video editing and working with extra-large 3D models.
Where to Buy
The GeForce RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 GPUs will be available as custom boards, including stock-clocked and factory-overclocked models, from top add-in card providers such as ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac and as Founders Editions from www.nvidia.com.